On May 7-8, 2020 the Central Asian International Conference «Model UN - New Silk Way» has been held for the first time online at al-Farabi Kazakh National University, which leads for the fourth term in a row the Global Hub of the UN Academic Impact Programme for Sustainability. The event is supported by the United Nations Information Office in Kazakhstan and the Representative Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Kazakhstan in Almaty.
The New Silk Way Model United Nations is a large-scale international project for university and high school students who act as diplomats from different countries and reproduces the activities of the UN. During the conference, participants discussed current world problems on given topics as well as ways to solve them, including the implementation of the 17 SDGs.
The conference included following committees:
- General Assembly – 75 years of the United Nations (in English), Topic: The 75th anniversary of the UN - peacekeeping and peacemaking;
- General Assembly – 75 years of the United Nations (in Kazakh), Topic: The 75th anniversary of the UN – peacekeeping and peacemaking;
- World Health Organization (in English), Topic: The COVID-19 Pandemic and «infodemic»;
- UNESCO (in Russian), Topic: Youth and online access to education during the pandemic;
- ECOSOC: Topic: «Socio-economic impacts of the COVID-19 Pandemic on SDGs» (in English)
The online event brought together international experts, representatives of the UN and diplomatic community, university and high school students from around the world. From the KazISS, Assel Nazabetova, Head of International Studies Department, Bulat Auelbekov, Chief Expert, participated in this conference.