On August 30, 2021, an expert discussion was held on the site of the Russia Today MIA on the topic: “What did you fight for? Afghanistan after the US Leaves and Russia's Place in the New System ”under the moderation of VCIOM General Director Konstantin Abramov.
The following speakers spoke at the event: Senator of the Russian Federation, Chairman of the Commission on Information Policy and Interaction with the Mass Media Alexey Pushkov, Director of the Institute for Political Studies Sergei Markov, Director of the Center for Military-Political Studies at MGIMO Alexey Podberezkin, Associate Professor of the Department of Political Science of the Financial University under the Government of the Russian Federation Gevorg Mirzayan, journalist and radio host, political scientist, public figure Armen Gasparyan.
The discussion was devoted to the discussion of key issues related to the aggravation of the situation in Afghanistan, the seizure of power in the country by the Taliban and related consequences, including:
- How will the situation change in a multinational state with the surrender of the US Army?
- Which Afghanistan will Russia have to build relations with?
- What position, in the opinion of the Russians, should Russia now take?
- Will neighboring countries cope with the new flow of refugees?
- Is the arrival of a radical movement in power a destabilizing factor in the country?
In addition, as part of the event, data from Russian polls by VCIOM-SPUTNIK were presented to questions regarding the latest events in Afghanistan, characteristics of the Taliban movement, Russia's international influence, Russia's position on Afghanistan.
Kymbat Nurgalieva, Senior Researcher of the Department of International Studies, took part in the expert online discussion on behalf of KazISS.